Stained glass windows of Mount Pleasant cemetery mausoleums

Photos from March 7, 2024

While Mount Pleasant cemetery is best known for its hundreds of varieties of trees, I was there on a sunny March afternoon with the sun illuminating some of the stained glass windows in the various mausoleums and thought I’d take some pictures!

Please remember that this is an active cemetery – respect the graves and grave stones, watch where you walk and remain on the paths. Also be aware that there may be a burial service going on with grieving friends and families.

The question arises, though – who were the artists and artisans that created these windows? I couldn’t find any specific details, but based on their age many were no doubt from the McCausland’s company Canada Stained Glass Works – which is still in business today – see

Here is a review from almost 150 years ago: “Canada Stained Glass Works. — The stained glass works of Mr. Joseph McCausland is the only one of its kind in the city, and we believe that in this branch of his business he stands without a rival. During a recent visit to his establishment it was our good fortune to see one of the choicest and most artistic specimens of glass painting and staining ever produced in the Dominion. At the late Centennial Exhibition, Mr. McCausland contributed some splendid specimens of the work produced at his establishment — work which was not only a credit to the ability of his work, but also to the city. Mr. McCausland also conducts a large house painting and decorative business, and is well known throughout the Province for the beauty and excellence of his banner painting.” (top of page 295 of the 1877 version of Illustrated Toronto: Past and Present)

Many McCausland windows exist across Toronto to this day, such as The Union of Commerce and Industry (1898) in Old City Hall.

Alexander Rogers mausoleum

Located in Triangle 11, the mausoleum was built by Alexander Rogers (born in Toronto in 1835 – died May 29, 1912 in his home at 177 Simcoe Street).

He went to school at the Normal School, and Upper Canada College (still on King Street West at the time), and made his fortune in the wholesale tobacco business (first located at 42 Adelaide Street West, then 151 Queen Street West). (pg 181)

Blackwell mausoleum

Inscription reads “They shall see His face” from Revelation 22:4

Located at Plot 2, Lot 6 the mausoleum was built by Charles S. Blackwell (born in Lindsay Ontario in 1857 – died on vacation in London England on June 23, 1932).

He ran a grocery store in Lindsay from 1883 until he left for Toronto in 1892 where he started the Park-Blackwell provision business, which became Matthews-Blackwell Ltd. which was eventually bought out by Allied Packers of Chicago. He was also on the board of directors of the Toronto General Hospital, becoming the chairman in 1931.

George Albertus Cox mausoleum – AD 1905

Inscription above the window reads: “Until the day break, and the shadows flee away” from Song of Solomon 2:17.

Located at Plot 2, Lot 8 the mausoleum was built by G.A. Cox (born Colborne Ontario May 7, 1840 – died January 16, 1914 in his home at 439 Sherbourne Street Toronto). He was the mayor of Peterborough for seven years, was the president of the Canadian Bank of Commerce and other important enterprises – and in 1909 be was called the most influential businessmen in Canada.

Sixteen people are interred in the mausoleum – including his two wives -Margaret who died 1905, and Amy who died in 1915, along with his six children and son in law.

The illustrated guide provides the following information about the Cox mausoleum, which was: “built at a cost of $50,000, was designed by the Toronto architectural firm of Sproat and Rolph (Royal York Hotel, Canada Life building). Its walls are made of Troy, New Hampshire granite, its roof and steps of granite from quarries in Stanstead, Quebec, and the interior of Italian marble. The roof components, each of which weighs twenty tons and measures almost thirty-five feet in length, were so heavy no wagon could move them from the rail siding to the cemetery. It was necessary to wait until snow covered the ground so that the seven massive stones could be transported using sleighs.” (pg 73)

Eaton mausoleum

The window in the Eaton mausoleum has the title Victory at the bottom – as demonstrated by the woman holding a palm frond and a trumpet, as well as a circlet of laurel leaves on her head.

The two small inset images seem to be of a wool spinning wheel, and an orator.

The cemetery website has more details on the Eaton Crypt, here.

Timothy Eaton was born in Ireland, just outside the small town of Ballymena in 1836.

He died in Toronto on January 31st, 1907 “from the complications of pneumonia at the age of 70. The funeral procession, moving through crowd-lined streets from the family residence at 182 Lowther Avenue to the newly constructed family mausoleum at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, was comprised of more than two hundred carriages, and a large number of the “new-fangled motors” preceded by several thousand mourners on foot.

The lions on either side of the entrance, under the six corinthian columns are quite dramatic!

Robert Emmet Kelly mausoleum

He died April 29, 1915 from pneumonia on his honeymoon in Atlantic City.

Married Bessie Olive Noden who had the mausoleum built on his behalf by the Thompson Monument Company at a cost of $8,000.

Is is notable for the scrolled acroterion angularium at each corner of the roof, and the cross in the typanum over the entrance

R.H. New mausoleum

Ryland H. New was born Toronto, July 16, 1888 – died 1913.

He went to school at Lansdowne Public School, Harbord Collegiate, Upper Canada College, and the University of Toronto.

Some of the text is from the excellent book Mount Pleasant Cemetery : an illustrated guide – second edition revised and expanded – available on the Internet Archive here.

Leave a Comment